Signs of dehydrated skin and how to fix it
It can occur due to a variety of factors, including low humidity, cold weather, hot showers, frequent use of harsh soaps, and certain medical conditions. Dehydration can also be caused by a lack of proper skincare, such as not using a moisturiser or not drinking enough water. While dehydrated skin is not the same as dry skin, individuals with dry skin are more prone to dehydrated skin. Dehydrated skin can also make fine lines and wrinkles more noticeable, and can make the skin more prone to irritation, sensitivity and breakouts.
Here are a few signs that your skin may be dehydrated:
- Your skin is feeling like a prune, even though you're not in the bath!
- Dryness and tightness - If your skin feels tight, dry or itchy, it may be a sign of dehydration.
- Fine lines and wrinkles - Dehydrated skin can appear dull and wrinkles may appear more prominent.
- Lack of elasticity - Dehydrated skin can lose its suppleness and bounce, making it appear less firm and plump.
- Flakiness or redness - Dehydrated skin can become flaky or red, especially on the cheeks, nose and forehead.
- Loss of radiance - Dehydrated skin can lose its natural glow and radiance, making it appear dull and lifeless.
How to treat dehydrated skin:
If you notice any of these signs, it may be time to give your skin some extra hydration! And remember, just like plants need water to survive, your skin needs it too! Here are some further tips:
1) Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin from the inside out.
2) Use a gentle, fragrance-free cleanser to clean your skin. Wash & Glow Skin Replenishing Daily Facial Cleanser is a soothing gel to cream cleanser that is Fragrance Free!
3) Apply a moisturiser to your skin immediately after showering or bathing, while your skin is still damp. We recommend the Dream Cream Skin Loving Daily Facial Cream to lock in moisture.
4) Exfoliate your skin regularly to remove dead skin cells that can clog pores and make your skin look dull. Adding the Sc-Rub & Glow Cell Renewal Exfoliating Facial Scrub 1-2 times per week to assist with the ultimate glow.
5) Use products that contain hyaluronic acid or glycerin which can help to attract and retain moisture in the skin. For deep skin hydration, Good Hydrations Hydrating Facial Serum contains Hyaluronic Acid, Marine Actives & Glycerin & is a perfect addition to your daily skincare routine.
6) Avoid hot showers, baths and saunas, as well as harsh soaps, which can strip the skin of its natural oils.
7) Use sunscreen to protect your skin from UV rays which can dehydrate the skin.
8) For deeper skin hydration, treat your skin to a hydrating face mask. We recommend the Goodbye To Dry Premium Bio-Degradable Bamboo Sheet Mask. This hydrating hero delivers a maximum moisture fix & fast. Instantly drenches parched pores with supa conditioning & calming coconut extracts to vanquish redness, dryness and restore balance.
Dry skin vs dehydrated skin. How to tell the difference.
Dry skin and dehydrated skin may have similar symptoms, but they are caused by different factors and require different treatments. Dry skin is a skin type that lacks natural oils, it's usually characterised by a lack of sebum and can be caused by genetics, harsh soaps, or cold weather. On the other hand, dehydrated skin is a condition that affects all skin types, where the skin lacks water, it can be caused by a lack of hydration, environmental factors, or using products that strip the skin of its natural oils. To tell the difference between dry and dehydrated skin, you can do a simple "pinch test". Pinch the skin on your cheek, if it feels dry and flaky, then it's dry skin. If it feels tight and stretchy, then it's dehydrated skin.